Friday, September 2, 2011

Have a Good Weekend

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

We have had a very busy week.  Students spent time practicing their writing organization skills, focusing their writing to build strong, controlling ideas and revising their writing to add voice.  So far, students should have turned in a rough draft and a second draft with a reflection sheet.  I am spending the weekend reading these and providing the kids with feedback to help them grow in the areas they indicated they wanted help.  From what I have seen so far, I have hard working, talented students with a thirst for learning.  I can't wait to see what their finished products look like.  Final copies are due on Thursday, September 8th.

Today was TWLOHA Day.  This day is a day of awareness presented by the organization To Write Love on Her Arms.
To Write Love on Her Arms is a nonprofit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury, and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery.
For more information about the organization you can visit TWLOHA at http://www.twloha.com/

I tell you this, because today I participated in their awareness movement by writing "LOVE" on my arms.  Of course, the students were interested in why I had done this.  Once I explained this, many of them asked if they could write "LOVE" on their arms as well.  I told the students that I did not recommend they do so if their parents would object to it.  I also told them that if they wrote it, they needed to be able to explain why. 

If you have further questions about our week, please send me an e-mail at cbenson@hazelwoodschools.org

Have a great weekend!

Mrs. Benson



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers